This recipe is a delicate balance of sweet and spicy. If you want spicier flavor, add chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin and red pepper. This chili is great for freezing in individual serving containers and then heating in the microwave for a nice hot lunch!
- 1.5 pounds of 93% lean Ground Beef (sometimes I substitute 50% with ground turkey)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely or nearly pureed in the food processor
- 16 oz Cream of Tomato Soup (please see below for gluten-free)**
- 28 oz Delmonte Chunky Diced Zesty Chili Style tomatoes or equivalent
- 1 large can of kidney beans (2.5 pounds)
- Chopped fresh parsley as desired
- 1+ tbsp Worcestershire sauce to taste (Lea & Perrins is gluten-free)
NOTE: There are two ways to prepare this – standard stove top or crock pot. I prefer crock pot because it is maintenance-free. Instructions for both are provided.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS:
Brown beef in large pot, drain. Add remaining ingredients, cook on medium low until it starts to steam and bubble, then simmer for one hour. I usually let it cool, then put it in the fridge overnight to let the flavors mingle. The next day I heat it up and serve.
CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS:
Brown beef in large skillet, drain. Add beef and remaining ingredients to crock pot, cook on low for up to 10 hours.
Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and serve!
Serves 6-8 people.
**I can recommend the following gluten-free soups:
Pacific Natural Foods Organic Creamy Tomato (available in stores)
Heinz UK Cream of Tomato Soup (can be purchased online through the Gluten-Free Trading Company
© K. S. Brooks 2009