Here is a quick, easy, and tasty gluten-, MSG-, soy- and dairy-free recipe! I created this recipe nearly 20 years ago after enjoying something very similar in a small tea-house in New York City. I thought I would share. It can be served as a side dish or as a main vegetarian dish. The flavors are supposed to be very subtle, so if you are looking for something more robust, add your favorite seasonings.
- 2 cups of coarsely chopped Leeks
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups quartered and sliced zucchini
- 2 cups quartered and sliced summer squash
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon savory
- Black pepper as desired
- Mashed potatoes for topping (prepared instant or home-made)
- Parmesan Cheese for topping if desired
– Preheat oven to 350.
– Steam squash until almost done.
– Mix all ingredients except for mashed potatoes; put into casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
– Remove from oven; top evenly with potatoes and cheese. Bake 20 minutes longer.
Makes 4 servings.
© K. S. Brooks 2009